Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR

From: Xiao-Yong Jin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:39:03 -0400

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 15:19:06 -0500, Russell Adams wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:46:28PM -0400, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>> I have an idea.  We can leave the original table intact,
>> while making a new dynamically generated table derived from
>> the original one.

> The org-babel idea was the do similar, but again you will not have the
> ability to edit the data in the copy.

> Often times you want to filter and then edit adjacent items...

I can imagine some kind of backward propagating of data from
the derived table to the original one by pressing C-u C-c
C-c in the derived table.  I was just thinking that it can
solve the problem of increasing probability of losing data
by miss-typing, because we don't need any extraneous
ellipses, and the original table is always there.  And there
is an advantage of such derived table over an overlay or
Excel that is one can make several different tables from a
single big one according to different criteria.  That might
not introduce more difficulties implementing it than a
direct overlay, but again, I don't know how to implement it.

I guess I am dreaming, now.  But I hope such kind of
functionality is feasible in practice.
--