Re: [O] ob-lilypond

From: Martyn Jago
Subject: Re: [O] ob-lilypond
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 06:38:33 +0000 (UTC)

Hi

> If Shelagh hasn't actually authored any of ob-lilypond.el (or at least
> hasn't authored more than 10 lines of) then we could simply remove her
> name from the authors list and include it into the Org-mode core.  This
> however may not be the best long-term solution if you anticipate her
> increased participation later-on in the project.  Please let me know
> (soon) if you would like me to make this change.

I've modified the author status in my repository.

> Ultimately this points to the more general issue of how to include Babel
> language-specific tests into the Org-mode test suite s.t. they can be
> executed independently of the core of the test suite.
>
> Thanks -- Eric

My unit-tests don't currently require the Lilypond to be initialised "as a babel
language" nor a Lilypond executable AFAICT, so currently they possibly don't
need to be run "independently". I'll investigate this further.

One distinction that has occurred to me (especially following comments on
the mailing list) is that of "babel language" and "babel language work-flow".
In other words, I can visualise refactoring ob-lilypond to be no more than
a specification of the Lilypond syntax, and working in parallel, on a
work-flow implementation for Lilypond that is "opinionated" in terms of
adjusting org-babel settings away from their defaults / removing work-flow
noise etc. ( org-lilypond.el ) ? Would this make sense, and if so where would
it live (aligned to org-babel / a native Emacs mode perhaps)?
I hope that makes sense.

Regards

Martyn