[O] Entities

From: Mark E. Shoulson
Subject: [O] Entities
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 22:52:42 -0400

There's a small bug in rendering the entities when org-pretty-entities is on (I get the feeling that org-pretty-entities is not a very commonly-used feature).  The entities \sup1 \sup2 \sup3 and \there4 are not rendered properly.  The regex detecting entities apparently doesn't catch numbers at the end, except for the special case of fractions.  I've added the others to the special-casing and attach a patch for it; I hope I managed to include the changelog properly (is git format-patch --attach the way to go?).

Also attached is another patch that might or might not be useful.  Sometimes it can be a problem when you can't type, say, asterisks around a word when you NEED asterisks around the word, not a boldface word (I'd been getting around it by using Unicode characters that look like asterisks, like ∗).  The way to do it right is to use the \ast entity, which expands to the right thing but doesn't affect formatting.  There's also already a \tilde entity, to allow putting in tildes without accidentally setting something verbatim.  I added entities for the remaining markup characters: \plus, \under, \equal, and \slash.  \under might be particularly handy when avoiding subscripting (which raises the question of if there should be an \asciicirc (or something) entity for ^ also).

~mark