Re: [O] Annoying behavior of RET after a timestamp

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Annoying behavior of RET after a timestamp
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:46:48 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> There was a recent commit 8c91f690a561113eee0d16cdb6e8afc6bcae2089 to
> follow a time stamp as a link. I have no problem with that but the code
> uses the org-at-timestamp-p function, which (perversely IMO) thinks that
> I am in a timestamp even when I'm right *after* the closing bracket; so
> pressing RET after inserting a time stamp follows the link, instead of
> inserting a newline. Since I do that fairly often, I find the behavior
> annoying.
>
> Can org-at-timestamp-p be taught the "correct" semantics? Or is this going
> to break something else?

I neglected to mention that I have org-return-follows-link set to t.

So, if org-at-timestamp-p cannot be retrained, then I'll have to retrain
myself to a) either insert something after the timestamp before RET or
b) use TAB, instead of RET, to follow links (and set/reset the variables
appropriately).

Be that as it may, however, org-at-timestamp-p's behavior just feels
wrong to me.

Nick