Re: [O] [RFC] Simplify `org-show-context' configuration

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Simplify `org-show-context' configuration
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:07:23 -0700

hi nicolas,

On 2/17/15, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't understand. Body text is not shown in ancestors. Considering the
> following buffer:
>
>     * Grandmother
>     ** Uncle
>     *** Heir
>     ** Father
>        Ancestor text
>     *** Sister
>         Sibling text
>     *** Self
>         Match
>     **** First born
>          Child text
>     **** The other child
>     *** Brother
>     ** Aunt
>
> `canonical' view is
>
>     * Grandmother
>     ** Uncle
>     ** Father
>     *** Sister
>     *** Self
>         Match
>     **** First born
>     **** The other child
>     *** Brother
>     ** Aunt

thanks for showing a complete example.

that is not canonical.  i thought we were working from my previous
posts over the years where i used the term "canonical".

you cannot create the visibility state you show from a fully-folded
buffer using only arrow keys and tab.

there are exactly two types of visibility.  each type has many
variants in principle, but we only need a few for each.

  1] can be created using arrows and tab from a fully-folded buffer
  2] cannot

this is a critical distinction.

org so far is not capable of doing any of the [1] states when going to
a location.  that's the problem that needs solving imo.

i actually don't care about any of the [2] states until [1] is possible.

within [1], there is a minimal state.  let's call it
minimal-canonical.  /that/ is the state that is most needed.  it's
roughly like what you show except with the body text for all
ancestors.

what you show is [2].  it is a great view, and needed, but it is not
minimal-canonical.

i don't want the term canonical to be used for any of the [2] states,
because then we will be back to missing the need for the
minimal-canonical view and the need for preserving an org buffer's [1]
status.

hope that clarifies.

samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.