Re: [O] 2-column mode for many cooking recipes

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] 2-column mode for many cooking recipes
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 12:07:52 +0000

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> I have this as a recipe -
>
> ** Date Bread
> \index[pies]{Date bread}\index[menu]{Bread!date}\index[cook]{Bake!date
> bread}\index{Fruit!dates}
> /12 ounces stoned dates/\\
> /1 teaspoonful bicarbonate of soda/\\
> /1 cupful boiling water/\\
> /4 ounces margarine/\\
> /1 egg/\\
> /2 cups flour/\\
> /$\frac{1}{2}$ cup sugar/\\
> /pinch of salt/
>
> Cut dates into pieces, shake soda over the dates, and pour water over. Add
> margarine cut into small
> pieces and stir well. Break egg into mixture, then add sugar and flour.
> Divide into two loaf tins
> and bake 90 minutes in moderate oven, Regulo 4 (cite:0187).
>
> How can I have the ingredients in a left-most column and the method in a
> right-most column please? So that everything below the index entries is
> in 2-column mode which ends after the citation. And it can then be
> renewed below the next index entries of the next entry, ad infinitum.
>
> This is for an org-mode document that is exported to latex and built
> into a pdf file.

As a follow-up to this, and thanks to Akater and Eric for their input -

** Macaroon Tart
\index[pies]{Macaroon
tart}\index[menu]{Tart!macaroon}\index[cook]{Bake!macaroon tart}
#+begin_ingredients
/\uline{short pastry}/\footnotemark \\
/jam/\\
/1 teacupful sugar/\\
/almond essence/\\
/1 teacupful semolina/\\
/1 reconstituted powdered egg/\\
/3 ounces margarine/
#+end_ingredients
#+begin_steps
- Line the sandwich tin with short pastry.
- Spread jam over it and fill with mixture creamed together from all of the
above ingredients.
- Bake in fairly hot oven for over 20 minutes (cite:0186).
#+end_steps

\footnotetext{See \uline{Short Pastry+} in Part 1 - Basics, Biscuits, Bread &
Pastries}
\footnotetext{See Short Pastry+ in Part 1 - Basics, Biscuits, Bread \& Pastries}
\footnotetext{See *Short Pastry+* in Part 1 - Basics, Biscuits, Bread \&
Pastries}

In a minipage like Eric suggested, org-mode footnotes do not work, they
end up putting the footnote at the bottom of their minipage, which isn't
ideal.

The solution is as I've shown above to use \footnotemark and then the
\footnotetext{foo} where you want.

But to get the new footnote to show t the bottom of the page like the
rest of the document you also need to have in your preamble
'#+latex_header: \usepackage[bottom]{footmisc}' which will then place
your new footnote at the bottom of the generated PDF.

But, and its a big but, you can't have any text decorations (think
*bold*, _underline_, etc) in your footnote text as it breaks the
positioning and display of the footnotes. As shown in this latex
output -

\section{Macaroon Tart}
\label{sec:orgb1ba005}
\index[pies]{Macaroon
tart}\index[menu]{Tart!macaroon}\index[cook]{Bake!macaroon tart}
\begin{ingredients}
\emph{\uline{short pastry}}\footnotemark \\
\emph{jam}\\
\emph{1 teacupful sugar}\\
\emph{almond essence}\\
\emph{1 teacupful semolina}\\
\emph{1 reconstituted powdered egg}\\
\emph{3 ounces margarine}
\end{ingredients}
\begin{steps}
\begin{itemize}
\item Line the sandwich tin with short pastry.
\item Spread jam over it and fill with mixture creamed together from all of the
above ingredients.
\item Bake in fairly hot oven for over 20 minutes (\cite{0186}).
\end{itemize}
\end{steps}

\footnotetext\{See \uline{Short Pastry+} in Part 1 - Basics, Biscuits, Bread \&
Pastries\}
\footnotetext{See Short Pastry+ in Part 1 - Basics, Biscuits, Bread \& Pastries}
\footnotetext{See *Short Pastry+* in Part 1 - Basics, Biscuits, Bread \&
Pastries}

The first footnote text breaks because of having the underlined text
inside it, it inserts a backslash just before the first opening curly
bracket, and places a backslash just before the closing curly bracket.
Not good!

The second footnote text works.

The third footnote text breaks because of the org-mode decoration,
specifically the stars to either side of 'Short Pastry+'.

Maybe the org-mode exporter to latex could be altered to allow
underlines in footnotes in minipages, but I suspect that it can't be
done. I think that its one of those weird latex-isms, love it or hate
it, you've got to use it to achieve nirvana!

So to summarise -

- if you want footnotes in minipages, you must
- use \footnotemark where you want the footnote inside the minipage, and
\footnotetext{foo} outside the minipage,
- use #+latex_header: \usepackage[bottom]{footmisc} to place your built
footnote at the page end, and finally
- do not use any org-mode decoration of text to achieve *bold*, _underline_,
etc within your \footnotetext{foo}, use plain text only.

Thanks to Eric and Akater, for their suggestions.
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.3, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.3.2, org-mode 9.1.6-10-g0c9329-elpaplus