Re: [O] Display-level automatic subtree numbering

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: [O] Display-level automatic subtree numbering
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 00:36:04 +0200

On 2018/10/25 at 17:02, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> "Garreau, Alexandre" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Le 24/10/2018 à 13h40, Nicolas Goaziou a écrit :
>>> But you don't need to number the whole buffer, do you?
>>
>> At least the screen.
>>
>>> A breadcrumb like feature could be enough. E.g., you hit <SPC> at the
>>> beginning of a headline and get the numbering in addition to the
>>> outline path.
>>
>> I’d prefer.  I find sad that all export backend supports this while raw
>> emacs doesn’t.
>
> Output from export back-ends is static. A currently-edited Org document
> isn't.

That’s why it’d require special font-lock-like and lazy update
facilities : when you insert (or move) a node, you need to update the
same-level following nodes (or exchange numbering with the near node).

>> It is neat to see, and to, just by looking at the
>> screen, which section has which number.
>
> You may be interested in "org-outline-numbering" package, then. It seems
> to implement what you want.

No it doesn’t update anything, and doesn’t color number compatibly with
outlining.  Also it’s not integrated in org and only available in melpa,
unsigned.