Re: asterisk allowed for list items

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: asterisk allowed for list items
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:54:47 +0800

c.buhtz@posteo.jp writes:

> Sidenote: As someone who writes software that parse org-content I would
> suggest to make the whitespace in front of a list item mandatory even
> for "-" and "+". It would reduce code complexity.

It might probably simplify things for third-party parsers. Not for
org-element. The "^* " vs "^ * " is distinguished without much efforts
on Org side because of hierarchical matching (headlines have higher
priority over lists). Moreover Org is trying to be as back-compatible as
possible, so minor simplification is not sufficient to advocate changing
Org syntax.

Best,
Ihor