[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Compile issues
Re: Compile issues
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:47:53 +0100
Gnus/5.1002 (Gnus v5.10.2) Emacs/21.2 (gnu/linux)
address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:
>> I'm surprised it was installed if the normal user interface doesn't
> "Doesn't work" is an exaggeration.
?? You may disagree that C-x ` is the normal interface implied by the
manual, but it clearly doesn't work. I'm worried if it's non-trivial
to make it work.
> A message labeled "info" is a clear statement that this is not
> something to worry about.
Maybe, but it doesn't mean I should ignore it if I want to make Emacs
> It's in NEWS now. Btw. Emacs can customize groups, and then you can
> comfortably browse all the options.
I tried the Custom version information, which indicated no new options
since Emacs 20, and apropos showed up nothing I searched for.
>> Yes, but. Several different packages in Emacs did that. It appeared
>> to be sanctioned for that reason. If it was wrong, one would expect
>> the first Emacs package that needed to do it to fix the issue.
> Some of them I can't test or do not even understand. Their authors
> and maintainers have repeatedly been asked to cooperate, but did not
> respond. So we decided to install this, so that someone who finds
> something broken, can at least explain that.
I was just trying to explain why telling people they were asking for
trouble isn't very helpful. For instance, I'm not exactly a beginner
and I recently contributed a Python mode which used
`compile-internal'. No-one asked me about that, although I understood
it was to be installed, but hasn't been. Has the maintainer been
asked about the Erlang mode I'm trying to fix at present? Obviously I
understand the difficulty of knowing what you might break if you
_have_ to make an incompatible change for some reason, and I'm trying
to help, though that doesn't seem to be a very productive activity
- Re: Compile issues, Daniel Pfeiffer, 2004/04/01
- Re: Compile issues,
Dave Love <=
- Re: Compile issues, monnier, 2004/04/01
- Re: Compile issues, Dave Love, 2004/04/02
- Re: Compile issues, Stefan Monnier, 2004/04/02
- Re: Compile issues, Dave Love, 2004/04/03
- Re: Compile issues, Stefan Monnier, 2004/04/03
- Re: Compile issues, Daniel Pfeiffer, 2004/04/04
- Re: Compile issues, Stefan Monnier, 2004/04/04
- Re: Compile issues, Dave Love, 2004/04/05
- Re: Compile issues, Daniel Pfeiffer, 2004/04/06
- Re: Compile issues, Stefan Monnier, 2004/04/06