[Groff] Re: Point of order (schizophrenia)

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: [Groff] Re: Point of order (schizophrenia)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:55:47 -0600

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

<snip>

>     .in
>     ..
>     Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic, but one of them is
>     paranoid and the other one is out to get him.
>     .code

<snip>

Not funny.  No offense intended, but you are perpetuating a myth about
a mental illness that offends those whose lives are affected by
schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is the reverse of Parkinson's Disease.  It has nothing to
do with "multiple personalities" or "split personalities".  It is caused
by an excess of dopamine in the brain (Parkinsons results from a deficiency
of dopamine).  Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is essential for proper
communication between brain cells (neurons).  Schizophrenia and Parkinsons
disease are to the brain what diabetes is to the pancreas.

My son has the disease, and came frightfully close to a very dangerous
suicide by fire before he was diagnosed.  Now with proper medication, he
is doing well in school, aspiring to a medical career, though he is still
considered 100% disabled, occupationally speaking.  Paranoia is one of the
many effects of the disease, as is the hearing of "voices" in the mind, or
seeing optical aberrations in the air that are not there.  This is caused by
improper transmission of nerve signals in the brain due to improper dopamine
levels.

It is a very frustrating disease, and you are not contributing to the
establishment of an informed public when you participate in mean jokes
about someone who has a disease they cannot do anything about.  Would
you make jokes about someone with cancer?  Or diabetes?  Or the flu?
Probably not.  Many of us would prefer that you give the same consideration
to the mentally ill.  It is not their fault, and there is little that
they can do about it, other than conscientiously continue to take the
proper medications that allow them some semblance of feeling some, even
if minimal, usefulness and personal accomplishment.

I realize your intent was humor, but unfortunately it is not at all
funny to those who have to cope with the disease.  You are forgiven, but
please do not repeat the offense, and perhaps you can find it in yourself
to bring this problem to the attention of others when they make the same
error.

Best regards,

Clarke Echols