Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:55:09 -0600

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > As far as I am concerned, the only time that troff/groff/*roff
> > should ever interpret a "'" or "." as a control/command character is
> > when it appears as the FIRST character in a line of input.  If it is
> > preceded by \fB or anything else, it should always be treated as
> > ordinary text.
>
> I fully agree.
>
> > The only exception would be when the only preceding characters are
> > whitespace, which troff interprets as a break, equivalent to ".br".
>
> I don't understand that.  Please give an example.
>
>     Werner

Example:

Source file:

This is a running line of text that can be multiple lines
in a paragraph, for example.  The next lines start with a leading
blank (space) in the first column.
 line 1 following space
 line 2 following space
 line 3 following space
line 4 with no space and the ensuing text.

Formatted output from AT&T troff or nroff:

This is a running line of text that can be multiple lines in a
paragraph, for example.  The next lines start with a leading blank
(space) in the first column.
 line 1 following space
 line 2 following space
 line 3 following space line 4 with no space and the ensuing text.

It has been several years since I experimented with this phenomenon,
but I recall testing it.  I was going to opine further, but realized
I might have a manual around home, so I consulted it.  Quoting from
the HP manual: "Text Formatting User's Guide" (HP part number