Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: begin page blues
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:06:32 +1100

On 21/02/2006, at 7:42 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

This should be rather straightforward to implement (and IMHO it's
always a good idea to have both escapes and requests for the same
thing).  Can you suggest request names for those two escapes?

[...]

E.g. a version that uses save/restore rather than just
pushing/popping a dictionary, that may allocate .sp space for the
PS, keeps it on the page, bypasses it altogether if the page is not
wanted (so as to avoid .so requests reading-in images
unnecessarily), the ability to mix ps and groff in the macro (that
requires the definition of an end-of-ps, other than ..

Hmm, this won't work basically.  groff basically does produce
device-independent output, and the complete \X and \Y functionality is
in the device drivers.  It would be nice to have a set of macros which
implements your wishes, but I can't build this into the troff binary.

Well, at least I've tried :-)
I only have one philosophical question-mark. When I was a youngster (yes!), device independence
and pre- and post-processors were good ideas and necessary.
I wonder whether it still is the case.
We, who got used to them, are comfortable with them.
I'm not so sure about today's youngsters.
Probably they would say that the dust has settled, Adobe won (whether they like this or not), so
why concentrate on anything else than ps and pdf.
And perhaps they would like a single application better, a groff with built-in tbl, eqn, me or mm etc,
producing, say, only ps.
I don't know, but sometimes it pays if one questions his/her whole approach As Time Goes By.

Btw, if you implement \Y's equivalent, then there is not much point
in doing \X.

Right.  So we only have to invent a single request name :-)

    Werner

What about "ps-mac" for PostScript Macro? If you don't like it, you can always say that you got it for free :-[[

Miklos