Re: [Groff] Avoiding the pod2man mistake

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Avoiding the pod2man mistake
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 07:14:40 +0100 (CET)

> If we're going to extend man, we should do it properly, with the new
> definitions in the man package itself.

I don't object basically.  However...

> Werner, I know it looks like an easy compromise, a soft option.  But
> don't go there.  *Bad* idea...

:-)

I will provide macro definitions (for whatever set of macros we come
up finally) which are put into the public domain, packaged into a
separate file which is then loaded by the groff man macros.  It won't
harm to load the contents of file more than once, so we are always on
the safe side.

BTW, I see a major obstacle to extend man as you suggest: groff isn't
always installed with its latest version.  I can imagine to add an
update to the 1.18 series which comes with the man extensions, but
many, many platforms won't have this.  So maybe the current way is to
really advise people to add this stuff to the man page's preamble.