Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:42:00 +0000

Hi Eric,

> My vision is that all the legacy help browsers become ways to point
> your browser at subtrees of the HTML on your system.  /usr/share/man
> and /usr/share/info would be the most important HTML subtrees, but
> there could be others, including project-specific others.

A bit off-topic...

Will /usr/share/man still have roff man pages as well as the HTML
conversion?

For those of us that think browsers are a poor way to read documentation
like man pages, e.g. poor searching, no remembering the scroll-bar
position, etc., presumably there will be a way we can keep the old
behaviour on a per-user basis?  I like using less(1) because of the
immediacy of the result in the context where I'm working, or sometimes
vim(1) for the same reason plus it turns man pages references into tags
with a tag-stack.

Cheers,

Ralph.