Re: [Groff] OTF in Groff or -mom in Heitrloom troff...

From: brian m. carlson
Subject: Re: [Groff] OTF in Groff or -mom in Heitrloom troff...
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:39:23 +0000

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 05:27:22PM +0100, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
what  I  really  would  think  wrong  behaviour is seen with
diacritical marks:

something like
.EQ
lpile {
K hat = y
above
K dot = x
}
.EN

shows  that  the "hat" is sort of right aligned above the K,
not centered as the dot is in the ps  output.  moreover  the
vertical distance above the K seems different for both marks
(probably they both are "top aligned" in this direction?).

It's my experience that this is common with combining diacritic marks in most TrueType fonts. In other words, this bug is not specific to Heirloom troff, but instead probably a problem with the fonts.

See the page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-diaeresis>, where (at least for me), the bolded n-diaereses at the top of the page, as well as some of the "Letters using umlaut or diaeresis sign" at the bottom of the page, exhibit this behavior.

What Heirloom troff does differently is that it probably melds these into a K with combining diacritic, whereas groff almost certainly does not.

HTH.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
a typesetting engine: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack