[Groff] Re: OTF fonts

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: [Groff] Re: OTF fonts
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:09:54 +0000

I can't directly answer this, but I'm sure the answer will
be along the lines by which I use TTF fonts (fine details omitted):

1. Create AFM file using TTF2PT1 (don't need the TYPE1 font).
(some TTF fonts have bizarre glyph naming, and this won't work).
2. Create a troff font file using AFMTODIT (program in groff source dist).
3. Install in .../font/devps (better somewhere local and use GROFF_FONT_PATH). 4a. Install the TTF font in GhostScript, by editing Fontmap or an included file.
4b. Or keep the TYPE1 file and put name in devps/download (big output!).
5. Format document containing TTF font, to PostScript.
6. Preview document, using gv, ggv, etc.
7. Convert to PDF using PS2PFD (part of GhostScript). I do this only when sending to an external printer, then I triply check the PDF with gv, xpdf and Adobe reader.

Thus it is possible to obviate the need for a backend to support TTF,
using other excellent OS tools. I'll be investigating OTF fonts sometime, but not now.

Denis M. Wilson