[Groff] controlling width of \| and \^

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] controlling width of \| and \^
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:07:05 +0100 (CET)

Another hidden gem of groff's treasure chest:

It is possible to control the width of \| and \^ on a per-font basis.
If the font definition file of the current font contains entries for
`\|' and `\^', respectively, the specified widths are used instead of
the default values.  [Normally, a font definition file contains a
single glyph name starting with a backslash, namely `\-'.]

I've discovered this right now because I had to fix a nasty bug with
\| and \^ for -Thtml and -Tutf8 (which emitted a space instead of
ignoring them).  Users of the CVS, please upgrade.