Re: [Groff] How to switch off line filling?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to switch off line filling?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:36:59 +0000

Hi Dan,

> My motivation is not to fine-hone groff documents, but to quickly
> format quickly written messages (mostly emails). So any markup
> charcter I've got to write is one too many, and to that end, with
> respect to numbered nested lists, mm is a bit less verbose than ms.

One of the ways of widening the view of troff (and groff) would be if
there were more troff back-ends to things that already have PostScript,
TeX, LaTeX, ASCII, etc., back-ends.  For example, reStructuredText is a
way of writing simple documents with ASCII mark-up.  A `troff -ms'
back-end wouldn't be too hard to add I'd guess.

    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html

Cheers,

Ralph.