Re: [Groff] Using variables from register within fractions or equations

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Using variables from register within fractions or equations
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:20:02 +0000

Hi maouinin,

Just to make we're aiming at the right target, can you confirm/correct
these...

> 1) for strong students: a blank line with the question number below --
> no first letter given

The blank line is contiguous and of fixed length, giving no clue as to
the word length.  The question number is under the right-hand end of the
line, 1, or do you want it centred, as if a fraction, 2?  Is the number
to be the same size as the main text on a line of its own or more of a
subscript?

    I am _________ to be with you at your _________.
                 1                            2

> 2) for weaker students: a blank line with the question number below --
> first letter given -- this is what i described in the original post

But still a fixed-length line?

    I am h_________ to be with you at your c_________.
                  1                             2

> 3) for the weakest students: a line with the first letter and an
> additional smaller line for each letter of the word being tested  --

So,

    I am h------- to be with you at your c-----------.
                1                              2

except that h------- and c----------- would have a continuous line, in
the same style as above, underneath them.

For that last one it seems as if the presentation may be a limitation of
using a TeX equation as it stops the normal ___ from being broken to
indicate each letter.  If the formerly continuous underline could be
broken into equal-length chunks, so as to no give away an `i' versus a
`w', would that suffice?

Cheers, Ralph.