Re: [Groff] pic: No white space allowed between . and PS?

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic: No white space allowed between . and PS?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:48:34 +0100 (CET)

> Just in case it hasn't been mentioned before: At least for the `.so'
> request, there is a big difference between
>
>   .so
>
> and
>
>   .    so

This is documented differently in the 3BSD manpage: 'so is documented to be
ignored by soelim.  Nothing is mentioned about spaces between . and so.  But
the implementaion of Bill Joys soelim recognizes only ".so", so the above
written is true too.

> Admittedly, this mechanism doesn't make much sense with other
> preprocessors in general, but I think it's not a bad idea to stay with
> this scheme for orthogonality:
>
>   .XXX
>
> can be handled by a preprocessor, while
>
>  .<whitespace>XXX
>
> is something only `troff' should process.

Is this documented somewhere?

Anyway--to put a preprocessor section into an .if block is of limited use, so
it can be accepted not to allow this whitespace.

Carsten