Re: [Groff] [patch] Typographic quotes in -mdoc %T

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] [patch] Typographic quotes in -mdoc %T
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:52:01 +0100 (CET)

"Anthony J. Bentley" <address@hidden> wrote:

> The below patch causes -mdoc to generate typographic quotes around
> a %T (reference title) instead of straight quotes.

Maybe that should depend on the output format.  ``Example'' does IMHO look not
really goot in the text terminal.  Many manpages use these quote (maybe since
they are correct for typeset output) but this appears ugly to me in the text
terminal (the characters are not symmetrical).

So would it make sense to leave the straight quotes for typewritten output and
use ``correct'' quotes for typeset output?

Carsten