Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:11:44 +0100

Uff, Carsten, ,)

Carsten Kunze <address@hidden> wrote:
 |> If study shows that old valid expressions can't be interpreted
 |> differently under the new parsing rules, then fine.  But I'd assume they
 |> could be.
 |
 |Why should they when they don't contain errors or use side effects?  The
 |current rules for numerical expressions and the conditional statement are
 |very restricted, so the probability should be low that there are problems.

 |Heirloom would go that way).

For S-roff i can say that yes, i'm open and want such an
extension, but i will not tear up the parsers that yet exist in
order to do so.
I'm not yet sure but i think introducing the $ extension trigger
seems to be a way to get this going, introducing some "outer
state" which can be recalled once the existing parser(s) are done.

Maybe $ should be turned into a two-letter mode first, however,
say $( to mean "grouping", $r "regular expression", $c the already
implemented string-case thing.  That would be even better (though
even uglier).

--steffen