Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 14:32:09 +0100 (CET)

Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> I thought the whole idea of if/elseif/else/endif was about
> improving the clarity of deeply nested conditionals?
> Otherwise the existing syntax is sufficient...

Of course the existing syntax is sufficient.  What is the gain of writing .elif
instead of .el .if? Two characters safed?
IMHO Werners .ifx looks better that .iff, anyway that is required to switch to
the new condition syntax but the rest need not to change.

So even

.\}
.el .if ...

could be possible (use of old and new syntax).  Nobody would use that, but why
forbit it?  That way it would stay more roff-like.

And what is unclear on deeply nested conditionals?  Unsing indents that should
be easy to read.  Regarding this I see no difference between *roff and other
languages.

Carsten