Re: The 3-faces problem

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: Re: The 3-faces problem
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 18:58:06 +0100

Hi Tadziu,

On 11/2/21 18:51, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

- It's all a single identifier, so breaking it into multiple
lines to avoid using \f would hurt readability.

I think it's a matter of debate whether

   .RB [ U ] INT \fIN\fP _WIDTH

or

   .RB [ U ] INT\c
   .IB N _WIDTH

is more readable.  In the latter at least it's obvious
in which typeface each part will be set.

Hmm, you might convince me.  Not sure.

but for some reason the underscore (_) is also set in italics
(well, under-underscored, since italics is just a big hype :).

How can you tell?

If you're using devps:

   in the Adobe fonts Times-Roman, Times-Italic, and Times-Bold
   the underscore is identical, so you don't see which underscore
   is being used (but it's the bold underscore).

If you're using devtty:

   If GROFF_NO_SGR is unset:
     the output is correct, the underscore is in bold.

   If GROFF_NO_SGR is set (and you're piping into less):
     Both bold underscore and underlined underscore are output as
     for interpreting this as an "italic" underscore rather than
     as a bold underscore.  There's nothing you can do short of
     modifying less.

Ahh, it's less's fault then. Okay, I can live with that. I thought I was doing it wrong.

Thanks!

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar