Re: Warn about long lines

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Warn about long lines
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 11:02:29 +0100

Hi Alejandro,

> If you know a (hopefully trivial) filter that transforms any
> multi-byte sequences in exactly the number of bytes that will be
> visible (and hopefully those bytes should be similar to the original
> UTF-8 content), that would greatly help.
> tbl man1/memusage.1 \
> | eqn -Tutf8 \
> | troff -man -t -M ./etc/groff/tmac -m checkstyle -rCHECKSTYLE=3 \
>          -ww -Tutf8 -rLL=78n \
> | grotty -c \
> | col -b -x \
> | toplaintext \
> | (! grep -n '.\{80\}.' >&2)

I'm unclear on the problem trying to be solved.  grep(1) in a UTF-8
locale already treats a multi-byte UTF-8 sequence for one rune as
matched by ā€˜.ā€™ which leaves the terminal's escape sequences, but they've
been disabled by grotty's ā€˜-cā€™, and over-striking for underlining, dealt
with by col(1).

In other words, what's wrong with

    zcat man7/groff_char.7.gz |
    eqn -Tutf8 |
    troff -man -t -ww -Tutf8 -rLL=78n |
    grotty -c |
    col -pbx |
    (! grep -n '.\{80\}.' >&2)

Does it miss overlong lines or wrongly report a short line as too long?
If so, an example would help target further suggestions.

--
Cheers, Ralph.