guix-devel

Re: Agreeing on some "rules" for packaging.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Agreeing on some "rules" for packaging.
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 21:35:54 +0200

Nikita Karetnikov <address@hidden> skribis:

> While we are at it, we could agree on quotation marks.  I know that it
> sounds like bikeshedding…  However, it doesn’t look right when some
> people use `' and others use ''.
>
> “Although GNU programs traditionally used 0x60 (‘`’) for opening and 0x27
> (‘'’) for closing quotes, nowadays quotes ‘`like this'’ are typically
> rendered asymmetrically, so quoting ‘"like this"’ or ‘'like this'’
> typically looks better.” [1]
>
> I’d prefer '' but will use `' if we agree on that.
>
> [1] https://gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Quote-Characters

Yes, that change in the GCS is recent, and I haven’t completely changed
my habits.

IMO the rule should be: use Unicode quotation marks wherever possible
(almost everywhere), use what Texinfo prescribes in Texinfo (that is,
like `this' and ``that''), and use what the GCS says elsewhere.

I tend to use ASCII quotation marks in source files; the main reason for
that is that typopunct-mode in Scheme files would be annoying (if you
know of other ways do use Unicode quotation marks in Emacs, lemme know.)

Thoughts?

Ludo’.