guix-devel

Re: Naming scheme for Python packages

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Naming scheme for Python packages
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 16:51:17 +0200

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 04:03:23PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:
> separate ‘package-with-name-prefix’ procedure, such that we would do:
>   (define package-with-python-2
>      (compose (cut package-with-name-prefix <> "python2-")
>               (cut package-with-explicit-python <> python-2)))
> WDYT?

I think one function is enough; there is not much benefit in striving
for maximal generality here, since these two operations should always
be linked in our context.

> (I would use an internal ‘define’ like this, rather than ‘let’, to
> introduce the ‘rewrite’ procedure; that doesn’t change the semantics,
> but I find it easier to read.)

Ah, but that is less functional, no? ;-)

Thanks for the other suggestions, which look quite interesting. The current
solution looks easier to a Scheme neophyte like me, and as there is no major
objection, I am going to push the patch as it is.

This will allow us to go forward with the other problems in the python build
system, and hopefully package a few more modules!

Andreas