guix-devel

Re: hydra.gnu.org down

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: hydra.gnu.org down
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 15:08:40 +0200

Hello,

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

>> Since yesterday evening (CET), hydra.gnu.org is down.  The FSF sysadmins
>> are working on it and will keep us updated.
>
> The bad news is that there was a hard disk failure so the FSF staff will
> need to restore a backup of the machine, which will take some time.  :-/

The FSF folks restored a backup of the machine but the store is empty
(it was purposefully not backed up.)  We’ve started to populate it, and
we should be able restart Hydra, hopefully later today.  I’ve restarted
nginx already, and its cache is not empty, so that might help a little
already.

We’ll have to rebuild a large subset of master and core-updates (a
“large subset” because the build machines still have some of the
binaries, which will just need to be transferred back to hydra.gnu.org
via the offload mechanism.)

The SourceForge issue may make things more difficult because downloads
are normally not offloaded so hydra.gnu.org will just stop if it fails
to download the source of some package.

Ludo’.