guix-devel

Re: Java bootstrap cleanups

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Java bootstrap cleanups
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:31:35 +0200

Hi Gábor,

> I have a few questions/suggestions but I would like to get some feedback
> before implementing them. This changeset would rebuild all java, so it
> would be nice to get this right for the first time.
>
> 1. https://issues.guix.info/issue/30730 has a partial fix, icedtea-8 out
> output is fixed. The same fix could be attempted at icedtea-7, and then we
> could inherit it.
> Also we could get rid of the repeated code in ant-bootstrap and co.
> 'strip-jar-timestamps the same way Ricardo did this in icedtea-8.

Yes, this seems like a good idea.

> 2. ISTM that https://issues.guix.info/issue/31719 is caused by not running
> strip on the jre directory. I don't know how widespread this kind of issue
> is throughout the codebase. If it is, then we might need to come up with a
> more generic solution, but in the meanwhile I would simply add a
> 'strip-jre-directory phase, or something like that. I guess that should
> interact with #: strip-binaries though.

Do you mean that the shared binaries that end up in the JRE directory
are not stripped and that stripping them gets rid of all these
references?  (You could test this by copying the binaries from the store
and stripping them manually.)

The icedtea packages use the gnu-build-system, so I would expect them to
be stripped by default.

> 3. some javadoc reproducibility issues could be mitigated by tweaking ant
> build system to pass -notimestamp to javadoc.
> WDYT?

Sounds good to me.

Thanks for working on this, Gábor!

--