guix-devel

Re: GHC 8.4.3

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: GHC 8.4.3
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 21:53:13 -0400

Hi Joe,

Joe Hillenbrand <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not a guix expert yet, so I looked at updating GHC and I got way
> out of my depth real fast.
>
> I just wanted to say thanks.

You are very welcome.

>> Some of you may recall that I started work on updating all of our
>> Haskell packages to their LTS 12 versions, and making sure they all
>> build with GHC 8.4.3.
>
> Is this lts-12.10?

Very good question!  I meant to mention this, in fact.  I froze
everything at 12.8, so that I wouldn’t have to chase a moving target.
Once everything is merged, we can keep track of the latest LTS 12
updates like we normally do with the importer.

> ghc-8.6.1 was release a couple weeks ago, but I assume it will be added
> after lts-13.0 comes out.

Hopefully!  We did skip GHC 8.2.2, so it’s hard to say.

>> There are 21 failing packages.
>
> corrode[1] should probably be removed. It hasn't been touched in over a
> year and a half and has been surpassed by c2rust[2]. I'm also pretty sure
> nobody except the author ever really used it as it had a lot of bugs and
> couldn't convert much C code.

That’s good to know.  Thanks for mentioning this.

> [1] https://github.com/jameysharp/corrode
> [2] https://github.com/immunant/c2rust

-- Tim