guix-devel

Re: Automatically building packages affected by submitted patches

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Automatically building packages affected by submitted patches
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 16:09:20 +0100

Hello!

Christopher Baines <address@hidden> skribis:

> For a specific example, here [5] is series 700 (a Patchwork id). There
> are a number of intermediate steps, but this is the specification in
> Cuirass [6].
>
> 5: https://patchwork.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/?series=700
> 6: https://cuirass.cbaines.net/jobset/series-700

Amazing!  Looks like you’re really close to reaching your initial goal!

> In terms of features I'd like to work towards next, the main thing on my
> mind is doing something useful with the data from building these
> packages. With the goal of displaying a check in Patchwork about the
> build status of the affected packages, I need to compare what's been
> build by my Cuirass instance, with what https://ci.guix.info/ has
> built. To do this, my current plan is to have the Guix Data Service
> monitor a number of Cuirass instances somehow, extract information from
> them and store it. You'd then be able to get a comparison for the build
> status using the results gathered from the two Cuirass instances from
> the Guix Data Service.

I’m also not sure why you need to compare things.  Looking at
<https://cuirass.cbaines.net/jobset/series-700> and
<https://cuirass.cbaines.net/specifications>, it looks like Cuirass is
already building the subset of packages that depend on the modified
package(s):

  "subset":["address@hidden","address@hidden","address@hidden","address@hidden"]

(Though what is “r-dnacopy” doing here?)

So I would think that you only need to check the status of these 4 jobs,
no?  What would you need to ask ci.guix.info?

Going forward, I agree with Ricardo that we could start running all this
on ci.guix.info, whenever you think is the right time.  I guess we could
start with the Guix Data Service, which is already useful in itself.

Thanks!

Ludo’.