guix-devel

python2 in git

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: python2 in git
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 13:43:29 +0100

Hi Guix,

our “git” package has python-2 among its inputs.  It says this:

    ("python" ,python-2) ; CAVEAT: incompatible with python-3 according to
INSTALL

The INSTALL file for git 2.25.1 says this about Python:

        - Python version 2.4 or later (but not 3.x, which is not
          supported by Perforce) is needed to use the git-p4 interface
          to Perforce.

The git-p4 script does, however, contain conditionals to accomodate
Python 3.  Here’s an example:

# support basestring in python3
try:
    unicode = unicode
except NameError:
    # 'unicode' is undefined, must be Python 3
    str = str
    unicode = str
    bytes = bytes
    basestring = (str,bytes)
else:
    # 'unicode' exists, must be Python 2
    str = str
    unicode = unicode
    bytes = str
    basestring = basestring

It also uses the Python 3 style “print” call instead of the Python 2
style statement.

I would like to build git with the latest version of Python.  Any
objections?

--
Ricardo