guix-devel

Re: Store channel specification in profile

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Store channel specification in profile
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 22:43:46 +0100

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 11:32, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

> > (Note: we should remove the ‘sort’ call here as the order of packages in
> > the manifest is significant when there are file collisions.)
>
> But the export is not an "internal manifest", it should not need to know
> about package order, right?
>
> I sorted the export so that it produces a reproducible output, which is
> more version-control friendly.

IMHO, the sort would not be too expensive; even on all the packages
that Guix already includes now. ;-)
So, it does not matter too much, I guess.

However, the manifest returned is not necessary functional because the
pkg1@v1 and pkg2@v2 are not necessary provided by the same commit.
Therefore we could imagine "options" to the '--export' command, as
'--export=full' or '--export=light' etc. And even '--export=sorted'
and maybe combined as '--export=light,sorted'.

Cheers,
simon