guix-devel

`guix build hello' now succeeds on the Hurd

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: `guix build hello' now succeeds on the Hurd
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 11:15:03 +0100

Hi Guix!

The situation on the Hurd starts to look pretty good

    janneke@debian:~/src/guix$ ./pre-inst-env guix build hello --no-offload
    /gnu/store/a2sylb94rm1b6qxcp5mqvgiyx9szipz7-hello-2.10
    janneke@debian:~/src/guix$
/gnu/store/a2sylb94rm1b6qxcp5mqvgiyx9szipz7-hello-2.10/bin/hello
    Hello, world!

\o/

Current development lives on the `wip-hurd-bootstrap' branch @ my
personal gitlab

    https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix #wip-hurd-bootstrap

It has some 20 odd patches.  I chose to create workarounds to "get early
success" rather than doing everything right.  While I worked on forward
porting glibc patches, I only took the minimal set that I needed.  Also,
I reverted to make 4.1 instead of debugging why make 4.3 fails (for
now).

Most controversial/problematic is the need to use fairly recent gnumach
and hurd sources.  Somehow the bootstrap in commencement currently tries
to usee GIT versions of those (gnumach-headers-boot0,
hurd-headers-boot0), creating a bootstrap dependency loop.  I tried
building from release tarballs with patches but in the end I "simply"
ran `make dist' for gnumach and hurd and use those source tarballs.

I have built bootstrap tarballs

    ./pre-inst-env guix build --target=i586-pc-gnu bootstrap-tarballs

and put them up at

    http://lilypond.org/janneke/guix/i586-gnu/20200304/

Gnumach and Hurd tarball sources are here

    http://lilypond.org/janneke/hurd

I have included my setup/install instructions in Git

    https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix/-/blob/wip-hurd-bootstrap/THE-HURD

What could be the next step?  We have a stale branch `wip-hurd' at
savannah by Manolis and Efraim's recent wip-hurd-bootstrap (which I
started from, but rewrote).

Shall I push this to savannah as `wip-hurd' (possibly save wip-hurd->
`wip-hurd-old?); I could also rewrite wip-hurd-bootstrap?

When we mave a branch I'd like to open a bug report on merging it,
and setting up build hosts (as discussed with Ricardo on IRC).

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com