guix-devel

Re: [GSOC 2020] Guix Deploy, round 2!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2020] Guix Deploy, round 2!
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 17:49:55 +0100

Hi!

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 8., Vas
> 23:10):

[...]

>> What I miss the most, especially on the build farm, is the ability to
>> tell ‘guix deploy’ which services to restart upon completion.
>> Currently, like ‘guix system reconfigure’, it conservatively doesn’t
>> restart any running services.  However, often, you’d like it to run
>> “herd restart X” upon completion.
>>
>> Another thing discussed at the Guix Days, but more relevant to more
>> advanced use cases, is the ability to define “roles”: often you’d rather
>> want to think in terms of the services machines offer and abstract over
>> the actual machines.
>>

> These are both great ideas. It would be also nice to access these in a
> single machine setup. I don't know where to implement this, it might make
> sense to add these to the common part of deploy and reconfigure. IIRC we
> also discussed the idea of a local deployer to be able handle the deploy
> node the same way as the rest.

If you talking about the first point above, I think it’s not that
difficult.  As I see it, we could provide a command-line option and/or a
<machine> option (?) specifying which services should be restarted right
away.  Restarting can be implemented as in (guix scripts system
reconfigure).

> Regarding the roles thing it would be nice to get a discussion going
> regarding the interface, so that we have an idea how it should look
> like. Wdyt?

Yes, that would be nice!  There were good ideas discussed at the Guix
Days and knowledgeable people, but I can’t see the notes at
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/guix-days-2020>
and I’m not sure who was involved.  There was probably Chris Marusich,
who else?  People, please step up!  :-)

Ludo’.