guix-devel

Re: 11/33: gnu: glibc: Add and update patches for the Hurd.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: 11/33: gnu: glibc: Add and update patches for the Hurd.
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:28:37 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

>>     * gnu/packages/patches/glibc-hurd-clock_t_centiseconds.patch: New file.
>>     * gnu/packages/patches/glibc-hurd-clock_gettime_monotonic.patch: New
>> file.
>>     * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Update them.
>>     * gnu/packages/base.scm (glibc): Use two new patches.
>
> [...]
>
>> -            (patches (search-patches "glibc-ldd-x86_64.patch"
>> +            (patches `(,@(search-patches "glibc-ldd-x86_64.patch"
>                           ^
> Superfluous.  :-)

Ah yes thanks, removed.  (I had a number of patches that meant to avoid
triggering rebuilds -- this is a leftover.

>> +
>> "glibc-hurd-clock_t_centiseconds.patch"
>> +
>> "glibc-hurd-clock_gettime_monotonic.patch")))))
>
> Nice patches!  Did you submit them upstream?  They are likely to be
> applied quite quickly nowadays, so they could make it in glibc 2.32.
> (It’s fine to carry them in the meantime, of course.)

I "only" forward ported them, and fixed one; only to find the Debian
glibc git archive just yesterday; so very similar ones are in Debian.

It is unclear to me how that works, some are prefixed local-, others
submitted- or unsubmitted-.  I'll have to ask around.

Worse, I just found what I meant to fix before with

    glibc-hurd-clock_gettime_monotonic.patch

namely

    Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize time
    OSError: [Errno 1073741846] Invalid argument

has somehow regressed...bah!  Combining that with our make v4.1/v4.3
problem, I guess I'll need to dive into these Debian patches some more.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com