guix-devel

Re: 31/31: DRAFT gnu: bootstrap: Add support for the Hurd.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 31/31: DRAFT gnu: bootstrap: Add support for the Hurd.
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 22:27:21 +0100

Hi!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> FWIW, yes the rebuilds are annoying but I find managing/juggling
> different working setups especially cumbersome.  A rebuild takes about a
> half a day round-trip time and during that I'm also doing development.
> I want to test smaller changes but am also making changes that will
> trigger another rebuild.  Also, I don't want to lose my last working
> setup (VM+git).  For that I'm creating many branches, tagged with
> numbers (wip-hurd0, wip-hurd-system3; etc), which "works" but...  Just
> wondering how you all handle this kind of thing.

I use git worktrees.

Now, I think the main limitation is mind availability.  For some reason,
earlier during Guix development, I’d manage to do core-updates testing
in parallel with unrelated things on master.  Nowadays, I find it harder
to be on more than one front at a time.  Maybe I just got older?  :-)

Perhaps one way to reduce the burden is to work on smaller, more focused
changes.  Perhaps “GNU/Hurd support” is too broad a topic for a branch
and you could instead target intermediate milestones?  At least that
would more often give a feeling of achievement, which I find important
to stay motivated.

My 2¢…
Ludo’.