guix-devel

Re: Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 22:41:10 +0100

Hi,

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> At the Guix level, timeouts are per session: you set them for all your
>> session with ‘set-build-options’.  So if you want them per-derivation,
>> you basically need to create one session per derivation build; that’s
>> what Hydra did.
>>
>> But there’s a good reason for it to be per-session: the admin may want
>> to be in control of those parameters.  For example, on berlin, we’d
>> rather make sure machines don’t stay idle for too long.
>
> Maybe we could create a separate jobset for the jobs that require a
> longer max-silent-time, IIUC?

Not really, because Cuirass does not use per-jobset sessions.

So really, we’d have to change the timeouts globally for guix-daemon, or
for all of Cuirass.

Perhaps we should start by creating a list of affected package/system
pairs, and from there we could make a more informed decisions.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.