guix-devel

Re: Plan for a release!

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Plan for a release!
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 14:13:28 +0100

Hello,

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 20., Pén 11:52):

Hey,

>> Done, but it’d be nice to add more test of the installer!
>
> I can help on that. Maybe adding:
>
> * More partitioning patterns
> * More DE & services

Turns out, when selecting GNOME in choose-services call of (gnu tests
install), it triggers downloads during "guix system init ..." call.

I guess it's normal because the installer image does not contain those
packages. However, as there's no connection, it fails.

Not sure, we can go further?

I believe what could be done is to create and extended installer image with the packages need for testing available.
It could work similarly to how the barebones closure is included right now. These images would be quite big, and impractical for anything but testing. I believe that having a simple very big image is better than having separate smaller ones for testing. This would also allow us to create a selection of images with different de/service options for direct download if the need arises, by expanding the list of configuration templates, and the test image can be simply created by including the closure of all the template configs. Wdyt?

In the meantime, here's a patch that helps dealing with installation
failures.

Thanks,

Mathieu
Best regards,