guix-devel

"Technical preview" / "Beta" features in Guix? (it was Re: [GSoC 2020] C

From: Leandro Doctors
Subject: "Technical preview" / "Beta" features in Guix? (it was Re: [GSoC 2020] Clojure importer for Guix?)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 15:11:06 -0300

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 14:56, Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 09:41:05PM -0300, Leandro Doctors wrote:
> > I am also checking Jelle Licht's 2016 GSoC project (the npm importer).
> > From what I understand, Jelle's code was never merged back into guix.
> > As I'm trying to learn from the past, could anyone please ellaborate
> > on why was that code never merged?
> Circular dependencies on a large scale. We don't really have an answer
> for that.

I see.

That being considered, why not enable that importer as "technical
preview" or "beta"? This would enable other people to realize the code
already exists, and enable potential contributors to eventually
improve the feature.

Think would be something similar to Debian's "llibgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0":

"GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared
to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're missing
something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a
real live maintainer, or some actual wide use. [...] The API is not
guaranteed to be stable."

https://packages.debian.org/sid/libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0

Or is it just that I'm missing something from the documentation?

--Leandro