guix-devel

Re: guix environment --profile with --ad-hoc

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: guix environment --profile with --ad-hoc
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:44:01 +0100

Hi again,

There is possibly a design flaw that prevents it from being completely
super useful :)  It'd be great if the command would be more "do-what-I-mean"
when both package options and --profile are passed.

Currently, I get

$ guix environment -l ./build-scripts/guix.scm -r my-root -p my-profile

guix environment: error: '--profile' cannot be used with package options

Instead, I'd like the following behaviour:

- If "my-root" does not exist, load guix.scm and create link the
  resulting environment to my-root.

- If "my-root" exists, do _not_ load guix.scm, instead load the profile
  as per my-profile.

Optional: isn't --root superfluous when --profile is specified?  Seems
like it, so we could just do

$ guix environment -l ./build-scripts/guix.scm -p my-profile

to get the aforementioned behaviour.

What do you think?
Lars?

Cheers!