guix-devel

Re: hikari build failure

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: hikari build failure
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 01:15:52 -0400

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 11:58:57PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> > I've restarted <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/133895/details>.
>
> I'm seeing overdrive1 as idle (as a lot of hydra workers) yet the
> restart is still in scheduled state.
>
> What am I missing ?

I don't know exactly what happened here.

In general, most of the aarch64 substitutes are currently built using
(very slow) QEMU emulation on x86_64 machines.

Half of the x86_64 machines are reserved for this, and it seems like
they can never finish their tasks, compared to the machines building for
x86_64 / i686. This creates the distinctive "checkerboard" pattern often
seen at <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/workers>.

So, maybe your job was being handled by one of the x86_64-based
machines.

Anyways, I retried the bmake derivation on an Overdrive, and it
succeeded there.

The failure log doesn't say why it failed, but it does say 'command
"make" "-j" "16" "INSTALL=install" failed with status 2'.  Who knows,
maybe it's not designed to run with so many threads. Our overdrives only
have 4. Or maybe the emulation is just not good enough.

The hikari derivation also built successfully on an Overdrive. It should
be possible to retrieve substitutes now.