guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 10:11:46 +0200

Hi,

Am Montag, den 04.10.2021, 09:17 +0200 schrieb zimoun:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2021 at 12:50, Liliana Marie Prikler <
> liliana.prikler@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > it's been a while since the discussion of whether or not to collect
> > multiple profiles into a single directory [1].  This suggestion
> > takes inspiration from that, but goes a vastly different
> > route.  Instead of using environment variables to control Guix, it
> > takes advantage of the recently added Guix Home, even if it is
> > still a technical preview.
>
> Thanks for raising up this again.
>
> > So, what's the proposition?  I suggest we modify home-profile-
> > service-type (or add a new service) such that it takes a list of
> > <home-profile> records instead of a list of packages.  This record
> > would be defined as
>
> Does it work for Guix on foreign distro?
I'm not aware of any specific failings w.r.t. foreign-distros on the
part of Guix Home, but I'd recommend waiting for certain bugs to vanish
before seriously using it anyway.  It's probably going to be fine
assuming you can set things up so that you can use Guix Home for your
shell rc files, though it might collide with other software that might
try to do the same.

Long-term, I see Guix Home as beneficial for foreign distros, because
packages would no longer have to code around certain assumptions, but
could instead defer to a home service for configuration, e.g. Guix'
fontconfig could be set up to respect both foreign and Guix' own fonts.

All the best,
Liliana