guix-devel

Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 10:54:51 -0800

On 2022-02-05, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:
>>
>>> The main two issues I'm aware of are...
>>>
>>> Issue with "guix pull" from the guix 1.2 version:
>>>
>>>   https://bugs.debian.org/1001833
>>
>> I believe this was fixed:
>>
>>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52694

Great, will try it again!

> Last week (or maybe two weeks ago, but no sooner than that) I ran “sudo
> apt install guix” on a laptop with Debian and I followed the advice to
> pull to the commit corresponding to 1.3.0.

That definitely worked a while back when I followed up to the Debian
bug, but guix always seems to have some new surprises in store!

> Every time at the end I got this git error: “the requested type does not
> match the type in the ODB”.
>
> Would it have been any different had I pulled directly to the latest
> version…?  Or is this unrelated?

I'll have to verify again...

> (In the end I removed the Debian package and installed with
> https://guix.gnu.org/install.sh; this was trickier than it should have
> been, because the Debian package left behind a broken init service and
> some state that I deleted manually.)

There is a difference on Debian between removed and purged, sounds like
you just removed it:

  apt --purge remove PACKAGE

should have done what you wanted, and if it didn't, bugs reports would
be appreciated...

live well,
  vagrant