guix-devel

Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes?
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 18:39:51 +0100

Hi!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>> It was too early back then but I think we could consider dropping it
>> after 1.4.0 is out, announcing it in advance.
>
> Sounds good to me.

The maintainers went ahead and announced it, thumbs up!  It might also
be worth emailing info-guix?

>> To those users still running a pre-1.1.0 daemon lacking lzip support¹,
>> things will just break, or at least they won’t get newer substitutes.
>> It’s been almost 2 years since 1.1.0 was released though.
>
> I’ll admit that back then I had neglected to upgrade the shared daemon
> at the MDC, missing the change to different compression types.  A
> considerable chunk of the demand for gzip substitutes then could have
> been due to the MDC.

I think it’s understandable; it’s an invisible component, after all.  A
few weeks ago I discovered that a colleague of mine was running
guix-daemon from 0.15.0…

> Printing a warning is a good way to get people’s attention, so I’m all
> for it to prepare for the big break.

Mathieu did that in f9c62b23cc88541756656b3ec602ce987828d906, which
should help!

Ludo’.