guix-devel

Re: Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:32:54 -0500

Hi Rovanion,

Rovanion Luckey <rovanion.luckey@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I have on different occasions had the issue of the package manager Guix
> hinting that locales were not installed or that GUIX_LOCPATH was not set,
> even though they were. Today I went to the bottom of the issue [0] and have
> found what in my opinion is the root cause:

This was already fixed in afec2784174058fdd85d9698e1fa748c45bfa8ee,
which no longer mentions gilbc-utf8-locales in the hint.

> Despite its name, the package glibc-utf8-locales does not contain all
> utf8-locales. There is nothing in the name that makes this apparent to the
> user, especially given that the package named glibc-locales contains all
> locales.
>
> My suggestion then is to change this package name from glibc-utf8-locales
> to glibc-limited-utf8-locales to make this distinction apparent to the
> user.

Perhaps that's not necessary anymore now that the package is not
mentioned in a UI hint?  The doc mentions it at some point, but stresses
that it contains only a limited subset of UTF-8 locales:

    Alternatively, the @code{glibc-utf8-locales} is smaller but
    limited to a few UTF-8 locales.

I we wanted to rename it, I'd go for 'glibc-utf8-locales-subset'.

Thanks,

Maxim