guix-devel

Re: setting open files limit for daemon processes

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: setting open files limit for daemon processes
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:28:51 +0000

> i'd be happy to play with this, but i don't know how to run a Guix VM that is
> built using my modified Shepherd; i.e. i have no idea how to test what i'm
> doing.

it actually seems simpler than i thought: i edited the Shepherd package to:

(source (git-checkout (url "file://my-path/shepherd/")))

plus i added some extra NATIVE-INPUTS to be able to build it from the unreleased
sources. after that a `./pre-inst-env guix system vm ...` seems to pick up the
changes, this would be a bearable edit-build-test cycle.

except that modifying shepherd seems to trigger quite a lot of packages to be
rebuilt.

is there a way to instruct `guix system vm ...` _not_ to rebuild all the
dependants, and only replace the Shepherd that is running as the init process?

is this something where grafts could be helpful?

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39