guix-devel

Re: [RFC] Use LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB instead of BUILD_SHARED_LIBS

From: John Kehayias
Subject: Re: [RFC] Use LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB instead of BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 17:40:57 +0000

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 11:57 PM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> Zhu Zihao <all_but_last@163.com> writes:
> [...]
>
>> # Solution
>>
>> I suggest to replace `-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=TRUE` with
>> `-DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB:BOOL=TRUE`.
>
> That's something I had been meaning to do for some time, but it fell
> into the cracks.  I'd welcome this change; you may want to look at
> 'llvm-cling', which already builds using such flag.

Just wanted to chime in that I ran across this unexpected configuration when
debugging some unrelated issues (had to do with Mesa library loading, so was
looking at its dependencies). I think it would be good to follow this more
expected and typical configuration for building LLVM, at least as far as I
understand it.

John