guix-devel

Re: Status of hibernation (suspend to disk) in Guix

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Status of hibernation (suspend to disk) in Guix
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 21:32:09 +0100

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer 写道:
But then I wonder if I may have rushed to post the patch, as I don't know whether hibernation is supposed to be more or less mature or supported in Guix (we may not want to encourage people to use a feature which may easily cause
data loss)…  Though it works quite well for me!

OTOH, I deliberately hadn't documented ‘resume=’ so far.

OTOH, I have been hibernating multiple times a day for years now, only ever rebooting my laptop for kernel updates.

So the feature is probably safe, and we should probably consider it supported at this point. Thanks for bringing it up!

So the TL;DR would be: Is it worth adding such documentation, given the
current state of hibernation support in Guix?

I think documenting the current status quo in time for 1.4.0 is a good idea.

The next step is to automate things so ‘resume=’ becomes optional. This should have landed already, but hasn't for personal reasons. The code is basically ready, but won't be in the release.

Kind regards,

T G-R