guix-devel

Re: geiser and guix repl

From: Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior
Subject: Re: geiser and guix repl
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:28:11 +0100

Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de> writes:

> By the way, personally, starting "guix repl --listen=tcp:37146"
> from terminal and then running M-x geiser-connect makes Emacs
> freeze for me. Do you experience the same?

Yes, that was exactly my issue.

The .guile file that you mentioned, the one provided automatically by
Guix system (I was not aware of it), was responsible for the problem at
the end. This script provide colors and other utilities when using guile
from a terminal. If you connect to the guile session using geiser, you
have a session in emacs with a colored prompt as well (it is necessary
to use C-g to escape the hang). The colors in prompt are not properly parsed
by geiser, I think so.

I deleted my .guix file and tried again. Everything was fine.

Now that I learned that .guix file was automatically created (and it was not
something I eventually created myself), I think this issue is something
that should be documented/clarified somewhere or improved.

I will try to launch guix repl from a eshell and check if the .guile
script recognizes that the color should be disabled.

Best regards,
--
Antonio Carlos PADOAN JUNIOR
GPG fingerprint: